Sunday, August 27, 2017

Gaither Vocal Band - Wes Hampton - I'll Tell It Wherever I Go

“A couple of months ago I was talking to Steve Green, who has always been one of my biggest musical influences,” Wes begins, “and he said something that has stuck with me ever since. He said, ‘I believe there’s no such thing as a truly good person. Left to myself, I am just a rotten sinner. People can tell me that I’m a great singer and I’m so wonderful to be out here doing God’s work and sacrificing time away from my family, but the truth is, at the core of my flesh I am a self-centered, selfish man.
The only good in me comes from Christ.’” Wes pauses. “And remember, that’s coming from Steve Green, who’s like a hero of mine! But I get what he was saying, and I truly believe that. The only reason that people are drawn to what I do is because of Jesus, and any good in me is because of Him. That’s not false humility; I’m just trying to be real. People have a tendency to think that because we get up on a stage, we’re somehow exempt from all of the things everybody else goes through, and that’s just not true. I struggle with my humanity just like everyone else — maybe more!”



No comments: