Sunday, July 14, 2013

Testimonies of God's Grace - Dr. Michael Brown - From drug addict to a disciple of Yeshua

"I was born in New York City in 1955. My upbringing was typical of many New York, Conservative Jewish children. But my favourite music was rock, and after my Bar Mitzvah in 1968, I got interested in playing in a band. I wanted to be a rock drummer, and all my role models were known for their heavy drug use, rebellion, and flagrant immorality. I wanted to be like them!

I used all kind of soft and hard drugs, but despite of everything I thought of myself as a good person. During the spring of 1971, my two best friends (and members of my band) began attending a little gospel-preaching church. I went too, just to pull my friends out. But I lost the fight! The love of the people began to break down my stubborn pride, and, totally unknown to me, their prayers began to have an impact.

I actually began to feel guilty about the filthy things I was doing. Some months later, when I returned to that church again, I realized that Jesus had paid the penalty that I deserved, He died in my place. But how could I, a Jew, believe in Jesus? For me, Jesus was only for the Gentiles. But there was a much bigger problem I faced: Following Jesus and getting into a right relationship with God meant I had to turn away from my sins. I didn't want to do that! Plus, I was too proud to admit that I could be wrong. Yet somehow, God's goodness and patience overcame my stubbornness, my pride, my sinful habits, and my religious misunderstandings. The heavenly Father intervened in my affairs, making me to know that I was guilty in his sight, exposing the corruption of my heart, and showing me a new and better way."



No comments: